Each year, Memorial Health Foundation focuses on a community healthcare need that our system can provide. This year, the annual appeal funds will be directed towards a CyberKnife® system.
This will be our region’s first CyberKnife® system—saving patients and their caretakers alike the burden of having to travel for treatment. In fact. There are only four of these machienes in Ohio—making it so patients have to take the traditiona treatment route for cancer and neurological diseases. This piece of equipment will be housed in our new Strecker Cancer Center on our Belpre Medical Campus and is expected to be fully functional by the end of 2020.
WHAT IS A CYBERKNIFE® SYSTEM?
The CyberKnife® System is the first and only fully robotic radiation delivery system. It is a non-invasive option for patients who have inoperable or surgically complex tumors, or who may be looking for an alternative to surgery. The CyberKnife® enables our radiation oncologists to deliver targeted, high doses of radiation to a broad range of tumors anywhere in the body.
CYBERKNIFE® SYSTEM FACTS:
- The CyberKnife® System can automatically deliver the prescribed dose of radiation directly to the target with the precision of no other technology to date, even when the target moves, while minimizing radiation to nearby healthy organs and tissues.
- Radiation oncologists and neurosurgeons turn to the CyberKnife® System when patients prefer a clinically proven, non-invasive procedure or when invasive techniques are deemed ineffective or too risky.
- Each treatment session with the CyberKnife® System lasts between 30 to 90 minutes for one to five days, depending on the location and type of tumor being treated. This is a much shorter time span compared to traditional radiation treatment that lasts several weeks.
- Most patients experience minimal side effects and can quickly return to their daily routines with little interruption to their normal activities.
Other benefits of the CyberKnife® System include:
- Greater comfort (patient can breathe normally during treatment)
- Immediate return to normal activities
- Little or no recovery time
- No anesthesia or hospitalization
- No incision
- No pain
As you can see, many will benefit from this new piece of equipment that the annual appeal is benefitting. Community members like retired dentist, Dr. D. Kim Poole, DDS, are excited to have this advanced healthcare technology in their own backyard.
My wife, Jackie, and I came to Belpre nearly 48 years ago. Over the years, we have seen Belpre and the surrounding areas improve in many ways. The biggest and best improvement in my opinion, was Memorial Health System opening a location in Belpre. And now, they are paving the way for cancer treatment in the future. This new change is very exciting! Memorial Health System has done so much for our community, and they aren’t finished— these advancements continue to put Belpre on the map,” stated Dr. D. Kim Poole, DDS. “We’re proud to have the CyberKnife® in our hometown.”
When you or someone you love is in need of Memorial Health System’s services, you expect and deserve the finest care possible. As you make the decision to support Memorial Health Foundation through the Annual Appeal, you are supporting projects that will impact and ensure the optimum care is delivered in our region.
Information provided by: Cancer Treatment Centers of America and Accuracy® Incorporated.
Memorial Health System: Memorial Health System is a not-for-profit integrated health system lead by a volunteer board of community members committed to providing comprehensive care services that meet the needs of our region. We are a network of services provided by over 2,000 employees that includes two hospitals, outpatient service sites, and provider clinics. We strive to deliver quality care and service with an additional focus on medical education and community service. You can learn more by visiting mhsystem.org.